Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, October 29, 2010

Trick or Treat

This year on Halloween night, D and I will be taking our nephews and nieces trick or treating... it's one of my favourite days of the year. Not only do I get to take my amazing little ones out, but I too get to go in costume - without even dressing up - I get to pretend that I'm their mom.


People open their doors to my polite and adorable nieces and nephews, who look up at them with their  excited smiles, take their gifts and thank them profusely, and I stand back and hold a position of "oh yeah, they're mine" intense sense of pride. It's one of the best feelings in the world.

Probably not the healthiest thing, but fuck it - I may never get to take my own kid out, and the pride I hold knowing that these kids share just even a smidgen of their blood with me makes me feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

I may not be a mom right now, and I may not be a mom for a while, who knows. And then there is the other possibility, but I'm not going to write that today.  So, we all need to dress up some time, put on a mask and as adults, we really just have this one day a year where it's acceptable, so yeah - they will be my kids on Sunday. Their smiles, their eyes, their manners, their excitement, their energy, their love... it all comes from me.

Except if they misbehave ;-)

1 comment:

  1. My cousin was in town a couple of months ago with her son. We went to go do a train ride and I carried him into the place to buy tickets. The lady behind the counter assumed he was mine and was talking to me asking all kinds of questions. She turned to baby Shawn and said "you are going to give your mom trouble with the ladies, won't you". I beamed! My heart felt so huge in my chest - I smiled to the lady and said "absolutely" - You are not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete